Close that door
Please note: This safety advice is offered as guidance only. If in doubt, Get out, Stay out and get the Fire and Rescue Service out!
Follow these important safety tips when going to bed or before going out:
- As you go to bed, close doors around the house. If a fire occurs this will slow down it's spread
- Make sure you test doors for warmth if you suspect a fire - don't look for the fire!
- Keep door and window keys within easy access
- Turn off all electrical items not designed to stay on continuously including portable heaters
- Do not leave the TV on standby
- Use an electric blanket according to the makers instructions
- If you can, avoid using the washing machine/tumble dryer or dishwasher overnight
- If anyone in the house smokes, make sure all materials are extinguished and ashtrays moved away from flammable materials such as furniture
- Smoking in bed leads to many deaths
- If candles have been burning, make sure they are out. Nightlight and tealight cases become very hot and are capable of igniting plastics. For your safety, use them in the appropriate holder
- Keep halls and stairways free of obstacles to help you get out quickly