Evacuation of property will only happen in extreme circumstances
If you are asked to evacuate:
- Don't panic - remain calm - stop to think!
- Act speedily
- Check on neighbours - do they know?
- Respond to instructions from the emergency services
- Report to the specified location and await further guidance
- Special arrangements will be made for the care of the sick and the elderly
- Use the checklist on this page
- Gather family and pets together
- Turn off gas, water, electricity and all household appliances
- If you have time, make sure open fires are put out, or at least guarded
- Get together warm clothing and sleeping bags, blankets or duvets
- Get together medicines in use and special foods for babies - and remember food for pets!
- Secure and lock your property
- Do not return home until you are told to do so
- On your return, do not use gas or other appliances unless you know it is safe to do so