Members are reminded that they should declare any personal and/or prejudicial interests at this point and that they should leave the meeting before any item, in which they have a prejudicial interest, is discussed.
Fire and Rescue Authority - 15 December 2010
Please note that details of complaints made about, and compliments received by, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service are available at every meeting of the Fire Authority for Members to peruse. Please ask either Lynn Ince or Sharon Lloyd if you would like to look at them.
01. Apologies for Absence
02. Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to agree the minutes of the Fire Authority meeting, held on 4 November 2010, and that they be signed by the Chair as a correct record.For decision
04. Public Questions
To receive any questions, statements or petitions, of which notice has been received, from members of the public.
05. Strategy and Resources Committee
Members are asked to receive the minutes of the Strategy and Resources Committee meeting, held on 24 November 2010, and to consider, and decide upon, the recommendations at item 7. The report relating to these recommendations is attached.
Please note that the reports considered by the Committee at item 5 (2011/12 and Later Years Budget Summary) are contained within the green booklet (attached as Appendix A to Report 8 - 2010/11 and Later Years Budget Summary) and will form the basis of discussion at item 8 on this agenda.For decision
06. Audit and Performance Management Committee
Members are asked to receive the minutes of the Audit and Performance Management Committee meeting, held on 30 November 2010 and formally approve the Annual Audit Letter.For decision
07. Annual Report of the Standards Committee
This report advises of the work carried out by the Fire Authority’s Standards Committee from 1 April 2009 to date.For information
08. 2010/11 and Later Years Budget Summary
This report summarises the budgets that are proposed by the Strategy and Resources Committee. These are updated for subsequent events. The results are put forward to the Fire Authority for approval as the basis for consultation, leading to a final decision at the Fire Authority meeting on 10 February 2010.
Please note that Appendices A and B to the report (the Green Booklet and Public Value Review 2010 respectively) are attached. The Treasurer is, however, awaiting any announcements on the grant settlement from the Government prior to finalising the actual report.For decision
09. The Scheme for Payment of Members' Allowances 2011/12
This report asks the Fire Authority to review and agree its list of Approved Duties and to agree its 2011/12 Scheme for the Payment of Members’ Allowances.For decision
10. FiReControl Project - Update
The future of the national FiReControl Project, and in turn, the West Midlands’ Regional Control Centre continues to be in doubt. The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), on 8th November, placed EADS (now known as Cassidian) in ‘breach of contract.’ This position was confirmed by the Minister for fire – Bob Neill, who, when questioned over the matter in Parliament (15th November), responded with the following statement:
“In June this year we activated a key milestone in our contract with the main contractor, EADS (now branded Cassidian), for delivery of the FiReControl project. This required EADS to complete the main system in three control centres by mid-2011. Because their record has not improved on delivery of the project, we informed EADS on 8 November that we consider them to be in material breach of their obligations under the contract and required them to remedy the position in 20 working days. I have made it clear to EADS that they must deliver to time, cost and quality. The Government are not going to bail out this contractor with additional public funding. We are going to stand up for the interests of the taxpayer and the fire and rescue service.”
Members will be advised of any developments (and likely consequences) as and when they arise.For information
Definitions of Exempt Information
- Paragraph 1
- Information relating to any individual
- Paragraph 2
- Information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual
- Paragraph 3
- Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding the information)
- Paragraph 4
- Information relating to any consultations or negotiations, or contemplated consultations or negotiations, in connection with any labour relations matter arising between the authority or a Minister of the Crown and employees of, or office holders under, the authority.
- Paragraph 5
- Information in respect of which a claim to legal professional privilege could be maintained in legal proceedings.
- Paragraph 6
- Information which reveals that the authority proposes:
(a) to give under any enactment a notice under or by virtue of which requirements are imposed on a person; or
(b) to make an order or direction under any enactment.
- Paragraph 7
- Information relating to any action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime.