Members are reminded that they should declare any personal and/or prejudicial interests at this point and that they should leave the meeting room before any item, in which they have a prejudicial interest, is discussed.
Fire and Rescue Authority - 9 February 2011
Please note that details of complaints made about, and compliments received by, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service are available at every meeting of the Fire Authority for Members to peruse. Please ask either Lynn Ince or Sharon Lloyd if you would like to look at them.
01. Apologies for Absence
02. Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to agree the minutes, of the Fire Authority meeting, held on 15 December 2010, and that they be signed by the Chair as a correct record.For decision
04. Public Questions
Members are asked to receive any questions, statements or petitions, of which notice has been received, from members of the public.
05. Strategy and Resources Non-Exempt Minutes
Members are asked to receive the non-exempt minutes of the Strategy and Resources Committee meeting, held on 20 January 2011, and consider, and decide upon, the recommendations at items 5, 7 and 9 The reports relating to these items are attached, marked 5a, 5b and 5c respectively.
Please note that the appendix to paper 5c (Capital Programmes 2011/12 to 2015/16) is an exempt document. It will, therefore, be necessary to move into closed session at this point to consider the recommendation relating to this appendix.For decision
06. Local Government Act 1972
Members are asked to consider a resolution under section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 that the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information, as defined by the provisions of Part I of Schedule 12(A) to the Act, by virtue of Paragraphs 3 and 4.For decision
07. Capital Programmes 2011/12 to 2015/16
Members are asked to receive and agree the paper Capital Programmes 2011/12 to 2015/16 (the appendix to paper 5c).For decision
08. Strategy and Resources Committee Exempt Minutes
Members are asked to receive and note the exempt minutes of the Strategy and Resources Committee meeting, held on 20 January 2011.For information
09. Revenue Budget, Capital Programme and Medium Term Financial Planning
This report, incorporates the recommendations made by the Strategy and Resources Committee on 20 January 2011 for the Authority’s 2011/12 budget, updates the figures for changes since then, and outlines the consequences for medium term financial planning.
A draft Medium Term Corporate Plan (referred to in section 7 on page 6 of the report) can be found on the Service website by selecting the following link:
09a. Notification of Government Capital Grant 2011/12
This report informs the Fire Authority of a grant of £916,000 towards capital expenditure, outlines the options available to Members and recommends a way forward.For decision
10. Revenue Budget: 2011/12 Precept
This report, seeks Fire Authority approval to a budget for 2011/12; Council Tax levels for 2011/12; and precepts on billing authorities and related matters.For decision
11. Annual Review of Charges - Special Services
The Fire Authority reviews annually, the charge it makes for special services from 1 April. Details of the current charges, which are estimated to produce £10,000 a year, are set out on the paper, attached marked 11.
Charges have been increased, in recent years, to reflect additional costs to the Fire Authority of providing these services. These are mainly staff costs, and the increase has been agreed at the level of the firefighters’ pay award. In the current financial climate, and, given that to date there has been no pay increase during 2010/11, it is recommended that charges remain at their current level in 2011/12.For decision
12. FiReControl Project Update
This report, sets out a summary overview of the key issues and matters arising from the recent decision announced by the Coalition Government to cancel the FiReControl project. It is not an exhaustive report, as the repercussions from the announcement are currently being considered within several arenas of the fire sector.For decision
13. Home Fire Safety Visits Programme
Members will be aware of the outcomes of the Public Value process and the changes that need to be made to meet the reduction in the Service budget in the coming years. This report is intended to inform Members of the future policy with regard to home fire safety risk visits.For information
Definitions of Exempt Information
- Paragraph 1
- Information relating to any individual
- Paragraph 2
- Information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual
- Paragraph 3
- Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding the information)
- Paragraph 4
- Information relating to any consultations or negotiations, or contemplated consultations or negotiations, in connection with any labour relations matter arising between the authority or a Minister of the Crown and employees of, or office holders under, the authority.
- Paragraph 5
- Information in respect of which a claim to legal professional privilege could be maintained in legal proceedings.
- Paragraph 6
- Information which reveals that the authority proposes:
(a) to give under any enactment a notice under or by virtue of which requirements are imposed on a person; or
(b) to make an order or direction under any enactment.
- Paragraph 7
- Information relating to any action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime.