Members are reminded that they should declare any personal and/or prejudicial interests at this point and that they should leave the meeting room before any item, in which they have a prejudicial interest, is discussed.
Fire and Rescue Authority - 25 April 2012
Please note that details of complaints made about, and compliments received by, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service are available at every meeting of the Fire Authority for Members to peruse. Please ask either Lynn Ince or Sharon Lloyd if you would like to look at them.
01. Apologies for Absence
02. Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to agree the non-exempt minutes, attached marked 3, of the Fire Authority meeting, held on 13 February 2012, and that they be signed as the Chair as a correct record.For decision
04. Public Questions
Members are asked to receive any questions, statements or petitions, of which notice has been received, from members of the public.
05. Audit and Performance Management Committee
Members are asked to receive the minutes of the Audit and Performance Management Committee meeting, held on 1 March 2012, attached marked 5, and consider the recommendations at items 8, 12 and 13.
Item 8 – Internal Audit Programme 2012/13 to 2015/16
A copy of the report, containing the recommendations to be considered is attached marked 5a.
Members are also asked to note the decision made by the Chief Fire Officer to purchase internal audit services from Shropshire Council following consultation with the Treasurer, Monitoring Officer and Chair of the Fire Authority. The decision was made on the basis set out in section 3 (page 2) of paper 5a. Under section G5 of Standing Orders relating to Contracts (the relevant subsections of which are set out below), such decisions must be reported to the Authority.
G When tenders are not required
G5 A contract may be entered into by the Authority other than in accordance with Standing Order F in the following circumstances, subject to consultation with the Chair and Treasurer of the Authority:
(ii) where it has been decided to standardise by buying from only one supplier.
(iii) for the extension of, addition to, or maintenance of, existing goods, materials or services, where this can only be done satisfactorily by the original contractor or supplier.
(vii) where the Chief Fire Officer enters into a contract as described in sub-clauses (i) to (vi) above, it must be determined that such action is reasonable and a written record must be entered in the Register of the action taken and the reason and reported to the Authority.
Item 12 - Anti-Fraud and Corruption Strategy
A copy of the Strategy to be considered is attached, marked 5b.
Item 13 – Whistleblowing Policy
A copy of the Policy to be considered is attached, marked 5c.For decision
06. Strategy and Resources Committee Minutes
Members are asked to receive the minutes of the Strategy and Resources Committee meeting, held on 15 March 2012, attached marked 6, and consider the recommendations at item 8.
A copy of the report containing the recommendations to be considered at item 8, is attached marked 6a.For decision
07. Strategy and Resources Committee Annual Report
This report, attached marked 7, advises of the work carried out by the Fire Authority's Strategy and Resources Committee for the period March 2011 to March 2012.For information
08. Fire Authority Work Plan 2012/13
This report, attached marked 8, reviews progress against the Fire Authority's 2011 / 2012 Work Plan and puts forward a 2012 / 2013 Work Plan for consideration and approval by Members.For decision
09. Consoilidated 2020 Strategic Planning Process
This report, attached marked 9, sets out summary proposals for the consolidation of the Fire Authority's existing planning processes enabling the creation of a '2020 Strategy'.For decision
10. Use of Balances and Reserves to secure Resilience and Efficiency
This report, attache marked 10, makes recommendations to Members about the use of reserves and opportunity savings to secure resilience and efficiency for the Authority.For decision
11. Local Government Act 1972
Members are asked to consider a resolution under section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972 that the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information, as defined by the provisions of Part I of Schedule 12(A) to the Act, by virtue of paragraphs 3 and 4.For decision
12. Use of Balances and Reserves to secure Resilience and Efficiency (Paragraphs 3 and 4
Members are asked to receive and note the paper Schedule of Capital Expenditure to 2018/19 (the appendix to paper 10), attached marked 12.For information
13. Exempt Minutes (Paragraphs 3 and 4)
Members are asked to agree the exempt minutes, attached marked 13, of the Fire Authority meeting, held on 13 February 2012, and that they be signed by the Chair as a correct record.For decision
Definitions of Exempt Information
- Paragraph 1
- Information relating to any individual
- Paragraph 2
- Information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual
- Paragraph 3
- Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding the information)
- Paragraph 4
- Information relating to any consultations or negotiations, or contemplated consultations or negotiations, in connection with any labour relations matter arising between the authority or a Minister of the Crown and employees of, or office holders under, the authority.
- Paragraph 5
- Information in respect of which a claim to legal professional privilege could be maintained in legal proceedings.
- Paragraph 6
- Information which reveals that the authority proposes:
(a) to give under any enactment a notice under or by virtue of which requirements are imposed on a person; or
(b) to make an order or direction under any enactment.
- Paragraph 7
- Information relating to any action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime.