Members are reminded that they should declare any personal and/or prejudicial interests at this point and that they should leave the meeting room before any item, in which they have a prejudicial interest, is discussed.
Fire and Rescue Authority - 26 September 2011
Please note that details of complaints made about, and compliments received by, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service are available at every meeting of the Fire Authority for Members to peruse. Please ask either Lynn Ince or Sharon Lloyd if you would like to look at them.
01. Apologies for Absence
02. Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to agree the non-exempt minutes, marked 3, of the Fire Authority Annual Meeting, held on 20 July 2011, and that they be signed by the Chair as a correct record.For decision
04. Public Questions
Members are asked to receive any questions, statements or petitions, of which notice has been received, from members of the public.
05. Audit and Performance Management Committee
Members are asked to receive and note the minutes, marked 5, of the Audit and Performance Management Committee meeting, held on 8 September 2011. Members’ attention is drawn particularly to the Audit Commission’s Annual Governance report at item 9a of the minutes, a copy of which is attached, marked 5a.For information
06. Constitutional Issues and Protocols
06a. Review of Scheme of Delegation to Officers and of Standing Orders
The purpose of this report, marked 6a, is for Members to receive and note the amendments to the Scheme of Delegation to Officers and Standing Orders, which were agreed at, and stand adjourned from, the Annual Meeting of the Fire Authority.For information
06b. Role Description
At its Annual Meeting in July the Fire Authority asked that a Role Description be drawn up for Member of the Strategic Risk and Planning Members’ Working Group. Accordingly a draft Role Description is attached, marked 6b, for Members’ consideration. Prior to this the draft Role Description has been circulated to members of the Working Group for comment.For decision
06c. Review of Protocol on Member / Officer Relations
This report, attached marked 6c, asks the Fire Authority to review its Protocol on Member / Officer Relations, which gives guidance for Members and officers on their respective roles and expectations, and on their relationship with each other.For decision
06d. Review of Protocol on Gifts and Hospitality
This report, attached marked 6d, asks the Fire Authority to review its Protocol on Gifts and Hospitality and to decide on any changes to be made.For decision
07. Statement of Accounts 2010/11
This report, attached marked 7, presents the completed Statement of Accounts to the Fire Authority for consideration and approval.
As the Statement of Accounts is an extensive appendix to the report, it is not attached but can be accessed on the Fire Authority’s website at:
The document will also be available to view at the meeting.
08. Annual Governance Statement 2010/11 and Improvement Plan 2011/12
This report, attached marked 8, asks the Fire Authority formally to approve the Annual Governance Statement 2010/11, which must be included as part of the Statement of Accounts 2010/11. It also asks Members formally to approve the Annual Governance Statement Improvement Plan 2011/12.
For decision and signature by the Chair, Chief Fire Officer and Treasurer.For decision
09. Code of Corporate Governance 2011/12
This report, marked 9, presents to the draft Code of Corporate Governance 2011/12 for consideration and formal adoption by the Fire Authority.For decision
10. Financial Performance to August 2011 including the Annual Treasury Report 2010/11
This report, attached marked 10, provides information on the financial performance of the service, and seeks approval for action, where necessary.For decision
11. Budget Projections based on Revised Assumptions
The report, attached marked 11, updates Members with the projections currently being used by Officers to plan future Service strategy. Members of the Strategic Risk and Planning Working Group have reviewed these figures and agreed that they should form the basis of future Service planning. The report also updates for latest information on future expenditure and income.For information
12. Open Public Services White Paper
This report, attached marked 12, summarises the key issues raised in the White Paper ‘Open Public Services’, identifies areas where Members may wish to discuss changes ahead of any legislation and suggests comments Members may wish to make to the White Paper.For decision
13. Response to Consultation on Proposed Changes to Firefighters' Pension Schemes
This report, attached marked 13, provides a draft response from the Fire Authority to the consultation exercise on the proposed changes to the Firefighters’ Pension Scheme (1992) and New Firefighters’ Pension Scheme (2006).For decision
14. Accommodation Update
The Chief Fire Officer will provide a verbal update on progress with the new Headquarters.For information
15. Information and Communications Technology Strategy - Update
This report, attached marked 15, provides Members with a summary update regarding implementation of the Service’s Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) Strategy.For information
16. Local Government Act 1972
Members are asked to consider a resolution under section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 that the public be excluded from the meeting room for the following item on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information, as defined by the provisions of Part I of Schedule 12(A) to the Act, by virtue of Paragraphs 3 and 4.For decision
17. Exempt Minutes (Paragraphs 3 and 4)
Members are asked to agree the exempt minutes, marked 17, of the Fire Authority Annual Meeting, held on 20 July 2011, and that they be signed by the Chair as a correct record.For decision
18. Business Continuity Strategy (Paragraphs 3 and 4)
This report, attached marked 18, acts as supplement to the previous exempt paper to Members and offers further details concerning the Service’s business continuity strategy to protect the communities of Shropshire, Telford and the Wrekin.For information
Definitions of Exempt Information
- Paragraph 1
- Information relating to any individual
- Paragraph 2
- Information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual
- Paragraph 3
- Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding the information)
- Paragraph 4
- Information relating to any consultations or negotiations, or contemplated consultations or negotiations, in connection with any labour relations matter arising between the authority or a Minister of the Crown and employees of, or office holders under, the authority.
- Paragraph 5
- Information in respect of which a claim to legal professional privilege could be maintained in legal proceedings.
- Paragraph 6
- Information which reveals that the authority proposes:
(a) to give under any enactment a notice under or by virtue of which requirements are imposed on a person; or
(b) to make an order or direction under any enactment.
- Paragraph 7
- Information relating to any action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime.