Members are reminded that they must not participate in the discussion or voting on any matter, in which they have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest, and should leave the room prior to the commencement of the debate.
Fire and Rescue Authority - 26 September 2012
Please note that details of complaints made about, and compliments received by, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service are available at every meeting of the Fire Authority for Members to peruse. Please ask either Lynn Ince or Sharon Lloyd if you would like to look at them.
01. Apologies for Absence
02. Disclosable Prejudicial Interests
Members are asked to agree the non-exempt minutes, attached marked 3, of the Fire Authority Annual Meeting , held on 18 July 2012, and that they be signed by the Chair as a correct record.For decision
04. Public Questions
Members are asked to receive any questions, statements or petitions, of which notice has been received, from members of the public.
05. Audit and Performance Management Committee
Members are asked to receive and note the minutes, marked 5, of the Audit and Performance Management Committee meeting, held on 6 September 2012.
Members are also asked to approve the Annual Governance Statement 2011/12 and Improvement Plan 2012/13, copies of which are attached, marked 5a. In February 2012 the Fire Authority delegated authority to its Audit and Performance Management Committee to approve the Statement of Accounts. The delegated authority did not, however, specifically include approval of the Annual Governance Statement (AGS) and Improvement Plan, which, although included within that Statement, are actually considered and approved separately. Members are now asked to extend the delegated authority to include the AGS and Plan. This would avoid the necessity in future of bringing these documents to the full Authority for approval, when the Statement of Accounts has already been signed off.For decision
06. Review of Scheme of Delegation to Officers and of Standing Orders
The purpose of this report, marked 6, is for Members to receive and note the amendments to the Scheme of Delegation to Officers and Standing Orders, which were agreed at, and stand adjourned from, the Annual Meeting of the Fire Authority.For information
07. Appointment of the Independent Person
This report, attached marked 7, asks the Fire Authority to consider and agree the appointment of an Independent Person and reserve to assist the Standards Committee and the Monitoring Officer in administering the new ethical framework for Members.For decision
08. Code of Corporate Governance 2012/13
This report, attached marked 8, puts forward a draft Code of Corporate Governance 2012/13 for consideration and formal adoption by the Fire Authority.For decision
09. Financial Performance to August 2012 including the Annual Treasury Report 2011/12
This report, attached marked 9, provides information on the financial performance of the service, and seeks approval for action, where necessary.For decision
10. Budget Projections from 2013/14
The report, attached marked 10, updates members with the projections currently being used by officers to plan future service strategy. The report also updates the Authority with the latest information on future expenditure and income.For decision
11. Community Right to Challenge
This report, attached marked 11, recommends the arrangements, which the Fire Authority should adopt, in order to operate the new Community Right to Challenge.For decision
12. Indemnities for Members and Officers
This report, attached marked 12, examines the current position regarding indemnities and insurance and asks the Fire Authority to consider whether to set out a specific indemnity for Members and officers and, if so, to agree the wording of that indemnity.For decision
13. National Framework Document
This report, attached marked 13, informs Members of the requirements placed on Fire Authorities, by Government, by the new Fire and Rescue Service National Framework 2012 document. It also provides a position statement on how the Service currently performs in relation to those requirements.For information
14. Partnership with the Environment Agency
This report, attached marked 14, informs Members about the current partnership arrangement that exists between the Service and the Environment Agency and the opportunity that has arisen for the Service to improve its current environmental protection capabilities.For information
15. Local Government Act 1972
Members are asked to consider a resolution under section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 that the public be excluded from the meeting room for the following item on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information, as defined by the provisions of Part I of Schedule 12(A) to the Act, by virtue of Paragraphs 1, 2 and 3.For decision
16. Employee Personal Request (Paragraphs 1, 2 and 3)
This report, attached marked 16, informs Members of a personal request received from an employee.
Definitions of Exempt Information
- Paragraph 1
- Information relating to any individual
- Paragraph 2
- Information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual
- Paragraph 3
- Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding the information)
- Paragraph 4
- Information relating to any consultations or negotiations, or contemplated consultations or negotiations, in connection with any labour relations matter arising between the authority or a Minister of the Crown and employees of, or office holders under, the authority.
- Paragraph 5
- Information in respect of which a claim to legal professional privilege could be maintained in legal proceedings.
- Paragraph 6
- Information which reveals that the authority proposes:
(a) to give under any enactment a notice under or by virtue of which requirements are imposed on a person; or
(b) to make an order or direction under any enactment.
- Paragraph 7
- Information relating to any action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime.