- When using electronic devices always use the official charger and don’t be tempted to use cheap counterfeit replicas instead.
- Ensure that you replace all damaged cables and chargers.
- Make sure all electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them.
- Don’t overload your sockets - keep one appliance to one plug where possible.
Some useful tips when using electrical appliances:
- Never put anything metallic in the microwave.
- Do not leave your washing machine on overnight or when you go out.
- Clean the filter on your tumble dryer regularly and remove fluff.
- Clean behind the fridge and freezer to avoid the blocking of air vents.
Some important tips when using electric blankets:
- Don’t leave electric blankets folded when storing them over summer months as this damage the internal wiring - store them flat or rolled up.
- If your electric blanket isn’t thermostat controlled, unplug the blanket before you get into bed.
- Don’t buy second-hand blankets - check your blanket regularly for wear and tear.
- If your blanket is over 10 years old, replace it and dispose of the old one at your nearest recycling centre.